HubSpot is one of the most used CRMs in the world. They provide a total customer relationship management system with additional marketing possibilities, such as ads, e-mail, landing pages, social media and chatbots.
I will review the chatbot software based on my criteria in my post about how to choose the best chatbot software.
Table of Contents
It is really easy to setup a chatbot in HubSpot. In HubSpot a chatbot flow is called a “Chatflow”, so you can just click on “Create chatflow” and the following screen will pop up:
In this screen you can choose to make four kind of chatbots (which automatically gives you a preview on right):
- Instant reply (this is for setting an instant reply for Facebook Messenger)
- Qualify leads bot
- Book meetings bot
- Support bot
When you click on one of those, automatically a chatflow is made with the corresponding messages.
When editing the chatflow itself, the interface gives a good overview of the flow itself:
If you want to edit an element, you can just click on it. And if you want to add an element, you can just click on the “+” button. So HubSpot makes use of a visual flow builder to build your chatflows. And you can also test your chatbot in Facebook Messenger, before the chatflow actually goes live.
So the editing of chatflows is really simple. But how one chat flow relates to another is quite unclear to me. Also, it is not possible to let the user go from one chatflow to another.
It is always the case that the user stays in only one chatflow, so it seems that the chatbot software of HubSpot is really limited. It is only good for qualifying leads or book meetings or support, but not for all at the same time.
- Visual Flow BuilderCreate chatbot dialogs with a visual flow builder.
- Test chatbotIs it possible to test the chatbot before putting your new flows or changes live?
- Interface easy to use?Is the chatbot platform easy-to-use?
- Easy to setup a chatbot?Is it easy to set up your chatbot with this chatbot platform?
The chatbot software of HubSpot does not have a lot of chatbot elements. The basic elements are possible, like quick replies, buttons, free text input, emojis and e-mail validation. It is enough to build a basic chatbot, but nothing advanced.
- DelaysUse delays between messages in your chatbot
- ImagesCan you send images via your chatbot?
- VideoCan you send video via your chatbot?
- AudioCan you send audio via your chatbot?
- AttachmentsCan you send attachments via your chatbot?
- Gallery (Horizontal list)Show a gallery of cards inside your chatbot. A card consists of an image, title, subtitle and button.
- Vertical listShow a vertical list of items inside your chatbot
- EmojisCan you use emojis inside your chatbot?
- Persistent MenuCan you add a persistent menu to your chatbot?
- Quick RepliesCan you add quick replies to your chatbot where users can click on?
- ButtonsCan you add buttons to your chatbot where users can click on?
- Free text inputCan chatbot users freely type text to your chatbot whenever they want to?
- Location sharingCan users share their location inside the chatbot?
- Email validationWhen a chatbot user gives their email, can the platform validate it's a correct email address?
- Phone number validationWhen a chatbot user gives their phone number, can the platform validate it's a correct phone number?
- Date validationWhen a chatbot user gives a date, can the platform validate it's a correct date?
The chatbot part of the HubSpot CRM is meant to enhance the features of the CRM itself. With the chatbot it is possible to add certain custom fields to users, and you can use these custom fields throughout the whole CRM. Moreover, you can put users in a certain static list, to make certain custom audiences.
But, adding tags to specific users is not possible. The same applies for user segmentation. It is not possible to make certain user segments and send them specific messages.
What must be said is that the adding of tags and user segmentation could be part of the HubSpot CRM itself, so it is possible in the bigger picture. However, when I only look at the chatbot part of the CRM, I cannot find these applications.
- Custom fieldsStore information from your chatbot users inside fields. For example, you can ask for someone's email and store it inside the "email" custom field.
- TagsAdd tags to users in your chatbot flows to organize and categorize contacts.
- User segmentsCan you create user segments based on custom fields and tags?
With HubSpot it is not possible to send broadcasts or sequences. This is a huge drawback, because this is the basis for most chatbot software. It is not possible to send a chatbot blast to your complete audience or to send a sequence of messages.
It is however possible to send a few messages on after the other, but it is not possible to send message 1, wait 1 day, and then send message 2 (what sequences are all about).
With HubSpot it is only possible to make use of the templates they provide, with some custom editing what you do yourself. It is not more than that.
What is a plus, is that there is a possibility for conditions, but this is not in the free package.
Also, it is possible to make a chatbot in any language, but it is not easy to translate your chatbot to other languages.
- BroadcastsSend a message to all or a part of your chatbot users at a specific date and time
- SequencesSend messages on a pre-defined schedule with a certain time interval between those messages
- ConditionsMake checks in your chatbot flow based on if-then logic. For example, if the user has not given their email, ask for their email.
- Multiple languagesIs it possible to create a chatbot in multiple languages?
- Easy to translateCan you translate text to other languages without using a third-party platform and without creating duplicate flows?
AI & NLP
There is no AI&NLP in the chatbot part of HubSpot whatsoever.
It is possible to let customers type in certain keywords and match this with articles in a knowledge base. But this is not really a chatbot experience, it is more like filling in a form. Also, you need to have the knowledge base extension of HubSpot for this.
Just matching keywords and giving a response to that keyword is not possible in HubSpot.
- KeywordsTrigger chatbot flow based on certain words or phrases a user says to the chatbot.
- IntentsTrigger a chatbot flow by understanding the intent of the user.
- EntitiesCapture specific information from sentences. For example, if a user says "veggie pizza", the chatbot can understand it's not a regular pizza, but a veggie pizza.
- Dialogflow integrationDoes the chatbot platform provide a direct integration with Google's AI Platform?
With HubSpot it is only possible to have a chatbot on your website and through Facebook Messenger.
For the website integration, you can add a website widget to your website, so customers can communicate with your chatbot.
The fact that you can only use two channels is a potential drawback for companies who want to deliver an omnichannel chatbot experience to their customers.
- WebsiteCan you publish your chatbot on your website?
- Can you publish your chatbot on Facebook?
- Can you publish your chatbot on WhatsApp?
- TelegramCan you publish your chatbot on Telegram?
- SMSCan you publish your chatbot on SMS?
- SlackCan you publish your chatbot on Slack?
- SkypeCan you publish your chatbot on Skype?
- Can you publish your chatbot on email?
HubSpot does great on integrations. They have a livechat integration, which is the most important integration any chatbot software needs. Moreover, they have integrations for Zapier, Integromat and Webhooks.
- LivechatDirect integration with live chat, either via a built-in live chat functionality or a third-party live chat platform.
- ZapierDirect integration with Zapier, one of the largest integration platforms in the world.
- Make (formerly Integromat)Direct integration with Make (formerly Integromat), one of the largest integration platforms in the world.
- Google SheetsDirect integration with Google Sheets, to store or retrieve data from sheets.
- WebhooksCan you call a webhook inside your chatbot flow to send data to other applications?
With HubSpot it is only possible to add a widget your website.
Landing pages, Facebook Ads, auto-replying on Facebook comments, use the One-Time Notification, creating buttons and custom URLs for your chatbot are all not possible.
- Facebook website widgetEmbed your chatbot as a Facebook Widget on your website.
- Native website widgetEmbed your chatbot as a native widget (your own branding & colors) on your website.
- Landing pagesCan you create a simple landing page to drive users to your chatbot?
- Facebook AdsStart a conversation with your chatbot when someone clicks on a Facebook Ad
- One-Time NotificationSend one-time notifications via Facebook Messenger for a topic that a chatbot user has opted-in for
- Facebook comments auto-replyAutomatically reply with your chatbot to users who comment on your Facebook Posts
- Button creatorAdd a button to your website to drive users to your chatbot
- Custom URLs for your chatbotGenerate a simple URL that can be shared anywhere to send users to your chatbot
HubSpot comes with a free plan and a free trial, so you have plenty of room to test out their platform before you start paying.
After the free plan, the first plan costs 46$ dollar per month. But this plan is not only for the chatbot. This plan is for the whole CRM. So that is why their pricing is a little bit complicated, because it does not only apply to the chatbot part of their CRM.
However, what is a little bit strange to me, is that they mention that “Conversational bots” (aka chatbots) are part of their “Free Forever” plan. But when you use the chatbot, you do not always have the permissions to use to the full potential. For example, when I wanted to add the “Book a meeting” element to my chatbot, I got the following message:
Therefore, I do not know precisely which elements you can truly use when building a chatbot in HubSpot, because you need other parts of the CRM, which may cost you money.
- Free trialDoes the chatbot platform provide a free trial?
- Free planDoes the chatbot platform provide a free plan?
- Price per monthWhat is the lowest price per month for creating a chatbot on this platform?46
- Monthly pricing available?Is it possible to pay monthly?
- Money back guaranteeIs there a money-back guarantee in case you are not satisfied with the platform?
I always say: If a chatbot software does not have analytics, do not use it.
And that applies here. HubSpot does not provide analytics for your chatbot at all, whereby you cannot improve your chatbot experience.
- DashboardDashboard that provides general analytics of your chatbot.
- User inputGet the input from users that your chatbot didn't understand.
- Sent messagesThe number of messages that were sent by your chatbot.
- Open rateThe percentage of chatbot users that opened a message inside your chatbot.
- Click rateThe percentage of chatbot users that click on a button inside your chatbot.
- Conversion rateThe percentage of users that converted through your chatbot. For example, the percentage of users that gave their email address
- Fall back rateThe percentage of interactions where the chatbot did not know an answer to a question.
- Custom dashboards/reportsCan you create your own dashboard or reports?
HubSpot does not have any eCommerce integrations that you can use in your chatbot whatsoever.
- PaymentsCollect payments inside your chatbot
- ShopifyDirect integration with Shopify to get products, order information and cart data.
- WooCommerceDirect integration with WooCommerce to get products, order information and cart data.
- Buy directly within the chatbotAbility for chatbot users to buy products or services directly from a chatbot
- Cart abandonmentTrigger messages in the chatbot when a user abandons their cart on a website or inside the chatbot
Templates & Cloning
HubSpot provides four templates to make your chatbot, which are all free.
But, it’s not possible to make these templates yourself or duplicate your chatbot flows or elements.
- TemplatesHow many pre-built templates does the chatbot platform provide?4
- Make templateCan you make templates yourself?
- Share templateCan you share self-created templates with others?
- Duplicate chatbot flowsIs it possible to duplicate chatbot flows, so you can easily reuse them?
- Duplicate chatbot elementsIs it possible to duplicate chatbot elements, so you can easily reuse them?
It is not possible to do any kind of optimization with HubSpot, such as A/B testing.
- A/B TestingCan you optimize your chatbot flows by performing A/B tests?
HubSpot provides decent documentation and customer support to help you further.
- TutorialsDoes the chatbot platform provide tutorials on how to use its platform?
- DocumentationDoes the chatbot platform provide documentation on how to use its platform?
- Customer supportDoes the chatbot platform provide customer support?
I will be honest with you, I will not recommend this software to you when building your chatbot. The software lacks too much basic features like analytics, recognizing keywords, broadcasts & sequences and proper integration with Facebook ads and comments to build your chatbot with it.
So when you should you use it then? I think this software is great when you are already using the HubSpot software as your CRM and want to try chatbots for the first time. It is really easy to setup a chatbot in just a few minutes in which you can automatically qualify your leads or let people book an appointment with you.
Great write up, your blog has saved me the stress to what I have been looking for. Now I know what HubSpot is all about. Thanks for the wonderful tips you gave on your blog.
Thank you 🙂