Instabot is a chatbot builder for websites and Facebook Messenger. But should you use Instabot to create your chatbots?
Check it out in this review!
Table of Contents
If you log in at Instabot, you will first see an overview of your published (on the left) and Draft Bots (on the right):
Instabot is structured in a way that every chatbot can be shown on one or multiple pages on your website. I will cover how you can determine these pages in the Marketing section of this review.
When you are going to build your chatbots for the first time, Instabot shows a step-by-step guide that helps you understand their visual flow builder:
With their visual flow builder, you can primarily use two types of elements: an element that asks a question to the user (and the user can respond to it) or an element that doesn’t expect a reply (normal text):
What you can see on the image above, is that Instabot shrinks part of the flow so you can read it more easily. Then, when you click on this “shrunk flow”, the chatbot elements expand and you can see all the details. Really intuitive!
Also, you can test your chatbot flow before it actually goes live inside the interface of Instabot:
In general, I think that the interface of Instabot is really easy to use and it is also really easy to set up your chatbot.
In my opinion, the only thing that could be improved is that you can drag and drop the chatbot elements, but this is just a minor thing.
- Visual Flow BuilderCreate chatbot dialogs with a visual flow builder.
- Test chatbotIs it possible to test the chatbot before putting your new flows or changes live?
- Interface easy to use?Is the chatbot platform easy-to-use?
- Easy to setup a chatbot?Is it easy to set up your chatbot with this chatbot platform?
Instabot provides enough chatbot elements to create a good chatbot.
However, they also lack some elements, such as Video, Audio, Attachments and Galleries.
Moreover, it is possible that a user can reply to a question with free text, but the user cannot ask a question whenever he/she wants.
This has some limitations, but Instabot still provides enough elements to make a good chatbot.
Also, what I really like about Instabot, is that they provide a date and time picker so users can easily book appointments:
- DelaysUse delays between messages in your chatbot
- ImagesCan you send images via your chatbot?
- VideoCan you send video via your chatbot?
- AudioCan you send audio via your chatbot?
- AttachmentsCan you send attachments via your chatbot?
- Gallery (Horizontal list)Show a gallery of cards inside your chatbot. A card consists of an image, title, subtitle and button.
- Vertical listShow a vertical list of items inside your chatbot
- EmojisCan you use emojis inside your chatbot?
- Persistent MenuCan you add a persistent menu to your chatbot?
- Quick RepliesCan you add quick replies to your chatbot where users can click on?
- ButtonsCan you add buttons to your chatbot where users can click on?
- Free text inputCan chatbot users freely type text to your chatbot whenever they want to?
- Location sharingCan users share their location inside the chatbot?
- Email validationWhen a chatbot user gives their email, can the platform validate it's a correct email address?
- Phone number validationWhen a chatbot user gives their phone number, can the platform validate it's a correct phone number?
- Date validationWhen a chatbot user gives a date, can the platform validate it's a correct date?
Instabot provides an overview of all the user that talked with your chatbot:
And when you click on one of these users, you can see more detailed information about them:
In Instabot, you can just ask a question to the user and save the response in a custom field.
Moreover, you can also create specific user segments for users that match some conditions.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to use Tags, but this is not a huge deal-breaker.
- Custom fieldsStore information from your chatbot users inside fields. For example, you can ask for someone's email and store it inside the "email" custom field.
- TagsAdd tags to users in your chatbot flows to organize and categorize contacts.
- User segmentsCan you create user segments based on custom fields and tags?
With Instabot, you cannot send broadcasts and sequences. But this is also logical because their software is mostly focused on websites.
Moreover, you can also use conditions in your chatbot flows, to create more personalized experiences for your users.
Also, it is possible to create a chatbot in any language, but it is not possible to handle multiple languages at the same time.
- BroadcastsSend a message to all or a part of your chatbot users at a specific date and time
- SequencesSend messages on a pre-defined schedule with a certain time interval between those messages
- ConditionsMake checks in your chatbot flow based on if-then logic. For example, if the user has not given their email, ask for their email.
- Multiple languagesIs it possible to create a chatbot in multiple languages?
- Easy to translateCan you translate text to other languages without using a third-party platform and without creating duplicate flows?
AI & NLP
Unfortunately, it is not possible to recognize keywords and automatically respond to it.
However, Instabot provides some pre-built intents that your chatbot can understand, such as when a user asks for Pricing:
If this is not enough for you, you can also use the direct Dialogflow integration. With this Dialogflow integration, you can understand the intent with your own intents that you created in Dialogflow. Unfortunately, it is not possible to use Dialogflow’s entities.
- KeywordsTrigger chatbot flow based on certain words or phrases a user says to the chatbot.
- IntentsTrigger a chatbot flow by understanding the intent of the user.
- EntitiesCapture specific information from sentences. For example, if a user says "veggie pizza", the chatbot can understand it's not a regular pizza, but a veggie pizza.
- Dialogflow integrationDoes the chatbot platform provide a direct integration with Google's AI Platform?
With Instabot you can create a chatbot on your website and on Facebook Messenger.
To be honest, I haven’t used the Facebook Messenger channel, so I don’t know how well this integration is.
Also, you can send simple emails to admins and users with Instabot.
- WebsiteCan you publish your chatbot on your website?
- Can you publish your chatbot on Facebook?
- Can you publish your chatbot on Instagram?
- Can you publish your chatbot on WhatsApp?
- TelegramCan you publish your chatbot on Telegram?
- SMSCan you publish your chatbot on SMS?
- SlackCan you publish your chatbot on Slack?
- SkypeCan you publish your chatbot on Skype?
- Can you publish your chatbot on email?
Instabot provides a built-in live chat, which is the most important integration of any chatbot builder:
Moreover, they provide direct integrations with:
- Google Calendar
- Office 365 Calendar
If this is not enough, you can also create your own webhooks.
- LivechatDirect integration with live chat, either via a built-in live chat functionality or a third-party live chat platform.
- ZapierDirect integration with Zapier, one of the largest integration platforms in the world.
- Make (formerly Integromat)Direct integration with Make (formerly Integromat), one of the largest integration platforms in the world.
- Google SheetsDirect integration with Google Sheets, to store or retrieve data from sheets.
- WebhooksCan you call a webhook inside your chatbot flow to send data to other applications?
With Instabot, it is possible to put a native widget on your website and to create a landing page that shows your chatbot.
The native widget that you can put on your website is pretty advanced. First of all, you can change the appearance of the widget by changing the avatar, colours and you can even upload your own CSS file:
Then, you can determine on what pages the chatbot should be triggered and how it must look (only a button or also automatically launching the chat widget):
Next, you can determine when the chatbot should be triggered (for example, after a delay) and for who it must be triggered:
Lastly, you can determine if you want to show a certain greeting message:
Additionally, you can also create a landing page with your chatbot on it:
- Facebook website widgetEmbed your chatbot as a Facebook Widget on your website.
- Native website widgetEmbed your chatbot as a native widget (your own branding & colors) on your website.
- Landing pagesCan you create a simple landing page to drive users to your chatbot?
- Facebook AdsStart a conversation with your chatbot when someone clicks on a Facebook Ad
- One-Time NotificationSend one-time notifications via Facebook Messenger for a topic that a chatbot user has opted-in for
- Facebook comments auto-replyAutomatically reply with your chatbot to users who comment on your Facebook Posts
- Button creatorAdd a button to your website to drive users to your chatbot
- Custom URLs for your chatbotGenerate a simple URL that can be shared anywhere to send users to your chatbot
Instabot provides a 7-day free trial on their Standard plan, which allows you to test out most features of their software.
When this free trial is over, you can go with their Base plan, which is $49 per month and comes with 5,000 monthly active users per month, 1 user seat, 1 custom bot built for you by Instabot, unlimited chatbots, analytics, custom fields and a Zapier integration:
What is unclear to me is what a “monthly active user” is. Is this a website visitor is is this someone that talked to your chatbot?
If you want more features of 5,000 monthly active users is not enough, you can go with their Standard plan, which costs $149 per month. This plan comes with 10,000 monthly active users, all the features in the Base plan, 5 user seats, Advanced Bot UI options (color changing, custom CSS file), live chat, calendar integration and a Dialogflow integration.
In my opinion, I think Instabot is a bit expensive. If you need to pay $49 per month and you cannot use live chat, this won’t cut it for most businesses. So, if you want to have live chat and a chatbot, you need to pay $149, which is pretty much. Especially, if you compare this with other chatbot builders, there are chatbot builders with more features and cheaper plans.
- Free trialDoes the chatbot platform provide a free trial?
- Free planDoes the chatbot platform provide a free plan?
- Price per monthWhat is the lowest price per month for creating a chatbot on this platform?49
- Monthly pricing available?Is it possible to pay monthly?
- Money back guaranteeIs there a money-back guarantee in case you are not satisfied with the platform?
Instabot provides a dashboard in which you can see the analytics of multiple bots. In essence, this is just a simple chart with the number of goals reached and the number of engaged conversations per week:
Additionally, you can also see specific analytics per chatbot. These analytics shows how many users responded to your questions and what they’ve responded:
I think these analytics are a bit minimal, but are still enough to improve your chatbot flows.
- DashboardDashboard that provides general analytics of your chatbot.
- User inputGet the input from users that your chatbot didn't understand.
- Sent messagesThe number of messages that were sent by your chatbot.
- Open rateThe percentage of chatbot users that opened a message inside your chatbot.
- Click rateThe percentage of chatbot users that click on a button inside your chatbot.
- Conversion rateThe percentage of users that converted through your chatbot. For example, the percentage of users that gave their email address
- Fall back rateThe percentage of interactions where the chatbot did not know an answer to a question.
- Custom dashboards/reportsCan you create your own dashboard or reports?
With Instabot, you can accept payments inside your chatbot, using their direct integration with Stripe.
Unfortunately, they do not provide integrations with eCommerce software, such as Shopify and WooCommerce. This is a drawback, especially for a chatbot builder that is so focused on websites.
- PaymentsCollect payments inside your chatbot
- ShopifyDirect integration with Shopify to get products, order information and cart data.
- WooCommerceDirect integration with WooCommerce to get products, order information and cart data.
- Buy directly within the chatbotAbility for chatbot users to buy products or services directly from a chatbot
- Cart abandonmentTrigger messages in the chatbot when a user abandons their cart on a website or inside the chatbot
Templates & Cloning
Instabot provides 12 templates that you can use to get started with your chatbot in minutes.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to create these templates and share them with others.
Likewise, it is not possible to duplicate your chatbot flows and chatbot elements.
- TemplatesHow many pre-built templates does the chatbot platform provide?12
- Make templateCan you make templates yourself?
- Share templateCan you share self-created templates with others?
- Duplicate chatbot flowsIs it possible to duplicate chatbot flows, so you can easily reuse them?
- Duplicate chatbot elementsIs it possible to duplicate chatbot elements, so you can easily reuse them?
With Instabot, it is not possible to do any optimization, such as A/B testing.
- A/B TestingCan you optimize your chatbot flows by performing A/B tests?
Instabot provides documentation and tutorials on how you can use their platform.
I don’t know if their documentation is 100% up-to-date, because I cannot find anything about the Facebook Messenger channel. But for most things their documentation is sufficient.
Moreover, they provide support through email.
- TutorialsDoes the chatbot platform provide tutorials on how to use its platform?
- DocumentationDoes the chatbot platform provide documentation on how to use its platform?
- Customer supportDoes the chatbot platform provide customer support?
So, should you buy Instabot to create your chatbots?
Yes, I think you should.
But it depends on two things: the number of website visitors you have and the average revenue per user.
Instabot is useful for companies that have lots of website visitors with a high average revenue per visitor. And then, I would recommend using Instabot. With Instabot you can create personalized chatbot experiences per page and also customize the messages using conditions.
Instabot has an easy-to-use Visual Flow builder, you can assign custom fields and create user segments, built-in live chat, use conditions in your chatbot, Zapier integration, advanced website widget, Dialogflow integration,
That being said, Instabot also has some disadvantages:
- Cannot reply to keywords
- User cannot type in something whenever he wants
- Mainly supports one channel: Websites
- Can be a bit expensive
- Minimal analytics